Sunday, December 6, 2009

Carpe Ventum...Seize the wind.

Seize the wind.
Marine Graphics, Inc.

When designing custom boat lettering, up with I look at every boat as if it were my own. So it stands to reason that as I've been thinking about names for my own sailboat, I have a lot to choose from - over 10,000 last I checked!. This doesn't make it any easier.

My kids have their own ideas, but I still keep coming back to this "Carpe Ventum" because of what it means to me. I took latin in highschool, but I only first learned the translation of the popular Carpe dium while working on the film Dead Poets Society during my Disney Studio days. I took the advice in the film and left Disney for a walk-about in Alaska where I fell in love with the sea (again) and I haven't been far from my boats ever since.

In this name there's a mixed sense of "going with the flow" and "living life to its fullest." I also like it because I can use this really cool photo I snapped of a Heron...a bird with sails for wings AND a beak long enough to finish the middle of the E in Ventum. Yup. I like it.

No comments: